Alpha Delta Phi & Music
Music has always played an important role at ΑΔΦ and Wesleyan. Since the first Chapter House was built in 1884, the members have always enjoyed the melody of a piano in their house. In the account book for the Furnishing Committee of the 1884 House, one can note the purchase of the “new piano” costing $500.00, making it one of the highest expenses for furnishing the House.
Many concerts were held in the Chapter House, later more specifically in the Richard L. Greene Room, using the chapter's piano and causing it wear and tear over the years. Records show that pianos were purchased or donated to the House in 1885, 1929 and 1957, and the Mason-Hamlin grand piano that was donated in 1957 was renovated in 1980 with the help of the Piano Renovation Fund. The keys shown above were the original celluloid keys of the Mason-Hamlin piano. These items, and the preservation of these items, relate to the affection and care of the House piano.
And with music comes singing. Aside from hosting and sponsoring many musical concerts, the chapter also contributed its singing talents not only for ΑΔΦ events, but also for Wesleyan events. Members participated in the Inter-Fraternity Sing, an event held in the Chapel where fraternities sang their marching song along with a special song to compete for bragging rights for the year. Since 1856, members have sung their fraternity and society songs, wrote and assembled their own, and even made old recordings available on newer media formats.